Thursday, October 25, 2012

12 Tips for Making Halloween Eco-Friendly

Halloween is one of my favorite holidays, but unfortunately, the standard celebrations are often out of line with my ethics. For example, almost everything associated with Halloween is disposable, single-serving, or synthetic. Eek! To me, needless waste is a whole lot scarier than ghosts or goblins.

If you’re like me and interested in making your All Hallows’ Eve more environmentally friendly, then read on. I’ll show you how to infuse your orange-and-black with a little splash of “green.”

1. Homemade costumes.

I’ve been doing this for years, scrapping together costumes from my own or secondhand clothes, but it seems especially important now that I’m a mother. I love to make my son’s costumes via creative repurposing. For example, on his first Halloween, he was only 7 months old, so that year I painted an old bike helmet to look like a turtle shell, and strapped it to his back. He had just mastered crawling and it was perfect! Last year I sewed him a little owl outfit out of old sweatshirts, and I made myself a “Freudian Slip.” I love these homemade costumes and I love that we’ll always be one-of-kind.

2. Costume swap.

If you do desire a specific or pre-packaged costume (maybe you’re short on time and making one just isn’t in the cards – understandable, we’re all busy people!), consider setting up a pre-Halloween costume swap with a group of friends. This is also a good event to coordinate the week after Halloween, and you’ll be all prepared for next year.

3. Conserve: save or donate.

In lieu of a costume swap, make sure you save your costume to be used again, either by you or another family member. Alternatively, you can donate it to a local theatre or charity. Whatever you do, don’t throw it away!

  • 1 of 4

Read more: Children, Conscious Consumer, Conservation, Crafts & Design, Crafts & Hobbies, Eco-friendly tips, Family, Food, Fun, Green, Green Kitchen Tips, Halloween, Holidays, Home, Household Hints, Life, Reduce, Recycle & Reuse, Smart Shopping, eco friendly halloween, eco-friendly, green halloween, green Halloween costumes

By Sayward Rebhal, Networx


Source : care2[dot]com

No comments:

Post a Comment